Monday, October 21, 2013

Sirens Calling: Junk Phone Calls, Junkmail and Junk Stories

I get a small number of junk calls to my cell. I never answer them since I never answer a caller that is not in my address book. (It's simple to get into my address book - just leave me a message that appeals.) I get a lot of snailmail junkmail - I sort my mail in the garage so that junkmail goes straight into the recycle and never gets carried by me into the house. I work to keep my home a sanctuary of only the highest intentions. My two email providers do a fine job of filtering, and so I see little junk spam.

Odysseus on the journey home from the ravaging of Troy devised a way to hear the Sirens' songs and survive. Their songs were believed to be irrestistably 'beautiful'.

I get glanced by junk advertising from the ranks of TVs at my fitness center. I watch little television at home - it is a sanctuary of the highest intentions - so don't get tugged at by them. Little advertising seems beautiful to me. Much of it is apparently irresistable ... to many. Ho hum ...

... and then there are junk stories. SirenSinging into the individuals and the collective of our 'culture'. Few are 'beautiful', and so they are opposite to the beauty of the mythic Sirens. Thus ... their collective sirenSong is hideous ... and tsunamiaic. Oh well ... who cares about that?

You Become What You Read

Which almost certainly ensures that you become like what you write. The cause is to write the opposite of junk stories. Which is what many of us do. And ... I know with complete confidence, that there are so many who want, and seek out, stories that are not junk.

Since stories teach ... and inspire ... and remind ... and hearken ... and lead ... then ... you become in mindfulness what you read. The SirenSongs of stories that heal are beautiful. And are worth being touched by.

"We writers share in the godlike power of the shaman. We not only travel to other worlds but create them out of space and time ... Our stories have the power to heal, to make the world new again, to give people metaphors by which they can better understand their own lives." - The Writer's Journey by Christopher Vogler
The Audience is There

The audience is there. They are those who want human beings to treat each other, animals and the whole Divine Creation 'better'. That is a wonderful audience to have ready to be written to.

Namaste! I bow to and honor the light within you!

No comments:

Post a Comment