Thursday, October 24, 2013

Learning from the Underrated Masterpieces of Sci-fi

On a personal note I consider myself a very technical writer (as in practicing scales on the piano ... endlessly) as well as an 'inspirational' (improvisational music and absract painting) writer. I love watching movies from the point of view of being a story writer (and not, most certainly not, a script writer.). As a writer I enjoy movies that not only please me but also give me food for thought in regards to my writing 'techniques' and writing craft. I enjoy honing the techniques I have and discovering new-to-me ones.

'Underrated masterpieces' for me are special. I just have that kind of personality. The underrated and forgotten is a great realm to travel to - to enjoy inspiration and, maybe, be inspired.

Steven James Snyder of techland recently released a list, with commentary, of "The Five Most Underrated Sci-Fi Masterpieces".

Two of them I have seen ... a very long time ago - Silent Running and Dark City. I'm not sure that I have even heard of the other three - Gottaca, Serentiy, Primer. But now I am very inspired to have a Watching Underrated Masterpieces weekend - with some of my favorite wines. And to see what I can learn as a writer.

Anyway, I commend the list to writers of fantasy and magical realism. And, maybe even more, the short list of twenty from which the five were distilled.

Interestingly, another list i found by 'serendipity' also had Dark City in the top five.

Namaste! I bow to and honor the light within you!

No comments:

Post a Comment