Thursday, February 28, 2013

Prayer, Art and Service are a Unity

Michele Théberge is a local artist that I admire greatly. I've seen her work - in di Rosa in Napa. But even more ... I truly appreciate how she understands what 'art' 'is'. Michele writes about art very deeply and inspirationally. You can visit her thoughts here - and I encourage you to follow her on twitter and commune with her on Facebook.

Michele recently blogged on 'Your art is your service'. I was inspired to write a 'brief' comment. And then ... the comment became longer ... and a bit longer again. I still posted it. And then ... after I re-read it I realized that I really liked what I had written. And so ... I copy it here below.

"Absolutely agree. Art is Service. Love is all there is ... across eternity and infinity ... or ... all there is is Love. (whichever one prefers.)

Myself and my 'environment' are a Unity ... since the Allness of All-There-Is is a Unity. Every manifestation (and all are temporal), from a galaxy none of us has seen to a blade of grass, is a manifestation of this Divine Unity. Thus ... when I interact with a manifestation of 'art', or it interacts with me, several things can happen - transmission, awakening something latent through resonance, and so on. Music, poetry, stories, art and more still me, uplift me, inspire me ... and more ... and always have since an early age.

True art is sacred service because ... we 'listen' (change our consciousness) to the Divine to create. And, in fact, it is really the Divine that is creating through us. The true artist is the flute, not the Breath that blows through it. And where does that Breath come from and what 'is' It? Our duties then - in the sense that 'duty' is used in the Bhagavad Gita - are to record what we are 'given', to 'polish the diamond' (using our techniques and skills), and to give this art on. (Getting paid is still Giving.) And, optionally, to become more and more what we are when we do 'listen'. Ultimately, prayer, art and Service are a Unity also.

Many artists these days, particularly in secular swathes of the West, 'disagree' with this understanding of the Universe. I honor each their understanding. The only point I will make is this - regardless of any conceptualization of the Universe that any one has, the true nature of the Universe is the way it is. Regardless. Thus, one can choose to 'understand' the Universe, or, one can choose not to. Both are paths. But almost certainly not equal."

Namaste! I bow to and Honor the Light within you!

Rennie

No comments:

Post a Comment