Monday, September 30, 2013

Finding One's Own Voice is a Journey

Finding one's own voice as an artist is a journey. If we don't begin that journey then we will not, not surprisingly, find 'it'. And the voiceless artist is ...?

My friend Sambhodi Prem recently posted this video on his FB page - about Osho answering a question in darshan about 'creativity'.

"If you want to create you have to get rid of all conditionings. Otherwise your creativity will be nothing but copy. It will be just a carbon copy. You can be creative only if you are an individual. ... You cannot create as part of the mob psychology. The creator cannot follow the well-trodden path. He has to be a drop-out from the mob mind, from the collective psychology."

I understand one of the facets of this rebellion is the fact that we are all (ALL OF US) innately creative, i.e. it is natural ... and to be 'natural' in this society is to be automatically rebellious ... because creativity is against both despotism and nonsense ... and stupor.

Being 'creative' is also a surrender - to that energetic that 'inspires' us, moves us. (Where does 'that' come from? And, what is it?) I know this to be completely true in my life. I write down what I am given to write down. Then ... I become a writer. Then ... I use techniques and craft ... and so on. I call it 'Polishing the Diamond'. I polish it. but I did not make it.

It is also one of my duties as an artist to not become submerged in the collective cloud of thoughts thought by the human race, as described by Ernest Holmes, most of them thought habitually. Otherwise, how can I be original, since I will be blindly (to mix a cocktail of metaphors) thinking thoughts that everyone else blindly thinks? Otherwise, how can I write 'healingly', counter-balancing the negativity and shallowness that is the stuff and fiber of many stories?

All that, and more, is part of finding voice. Finding one's own voice is a journey. Finding one's own voice is a rebellion. And then ... that rebellion must transform into a revolution.

And, rather than me having the last word, I will, with joy, give the last word to Lady Gaga.

Namaste! I bow to and honor the Light within you!

No comments:

Post a Comment